22 Aug SaludCom: Update from Ecuador, Summer 2014
Posted at 23:59h in SaludCom 0 Comments
In the last 6 months, the SaludCom project has been up to a lot in Ecuador. To name a few of our accomplishments:
- After 3 full-day Red Cross Trainings, 20 community health workers are now re-certified in first aid, CPR, and water rescue.
- We provided 3 community workshops on leadership skills, interpersonal relationships and family relations.
- We installed 6 antennas in remote communities of the region, enabling both community health workers and locals to be in consistent contact with the health center in La Y. Not only is that helpful in health emergencies, but it also facilitates access to and use of the health facility. Now, locals can set appointments in advance and not worry about walking up to 7 hours without being seen by a busy doctor.
- We built housing to receive a Cuban medical doctor for the next three years.
- Four lives were saved on account of the ambulance we donated to the health center in 2008.
- The health center doctor and dentist are now able to stay over night in the community, because they now have internet and can be in contact with the hospital in Quininde, the closest town to La Y.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.